Friday 8 February 2013

GETTING READY FOR THE SHOW!

Well, all the work's complete.  The list is decided.  I will be taking about 25 paintings on Sunday to the Anise Gallery in Shad Thames where we will start hanging in preparation for the opening on Wednesday 20th February at 6pm.
I have called the show The Ruins of Empire, and this is the title painting:


Ruins of Empire
Acrylic and polystyrene on Canvas.  760mm x 760mm

The colour in this work is suggested by that which was used by ships trading between Britain and South Africa up until the 1970s: a pretty scheme indeed for such a trade, bolstering that appalling economy.  I have got close up: I can see the bits I'm not supposed to see.  I can see the dripping matter and the attempts to paint the bad bits out.  The end is in sight.

There will be a number of new works in this show, which were not in the Bristol collection last year.  The Anise Gallery is a wonderful venue: a converted warehouse that was itself as much part of the apparatus of Empire as the subjects I paint.  Please come along to the opening, or you can visit until 31st March.


No comments:

Post a Comment