Saturday 18 January 2014

I DISCOVER CHELTENHAM IS WORTH VISITING

It was a privilege yesterday to be invited to Cheltenham to visit their new gallery space.  I'm afraid you'll have to wait to hear what I think in detail until my review is published soon in Architecture Today.  But I just wanted to say now what a lovely piece of architecture it is.  
I no longer know what the term 'Modern Architecture' means, as it is so abased by architects themselves; but this building is thoughtful and adventurous for such a place.  I live in a heritage-throttled environment (Bath), where all proposals for new architecture have to go in front of committees of Colonel Crimbie-Crompsons who hate to be reminded that the map's not all pink any more.
But Cheltenham has celebrated the opening of The Wilson (as it is called) with record numbers of visitors.  I have borrowed the photo below from their website.  
Well worth visiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment