Friday 24 April 2015

YOUR CORRESPONDENT GETS A NEW QUALIFICATION


Yesterday I became a fully qualified ....
.... MORRIS DANCER!

Photo: Pete Ross

I 'danced in' with the Bathampton Morris Men, and was awarded the rosettes that we wear on our fronts and backs by the Squire of the side.

I am immensely proud of having achieved this: I first joined the Bathampton men in October 2013, and so I have been through two winter practice seasons, and last year's summer season out and about in the pubs around Bath.
To put this into context, here are a few of my other qualifications, with the time (in months) it took me to get them:

Driving a car: 7 months
Getting an MA in Art History and Theory: 11 months
Being Officer-of-the-Watch in charge of a warship: 16 months
Becoming a Morris Dancer: 18 months

... so you see, it really is an achievement!  It has tested me physically and mentally, but I can now more or less manage about 20 dances, and play the concertina to a good few more.

It's great fun ... the new summer season has just begun, and every Thursday we'll visit 2 or 3 village pubs; do 6 or so dances in each, then fill our tankards and make music till closing time.

Anyone wanting to track us down this summer, you can find our programme here:


No comments:

Post a Comment