Monday 17 February 2014

I WANT JONATHAN MEADES TO COME AND WORK WITH ME!


I watched Jonathan Meades' first instalment of his essay on Brutalism last night.  Bloody infuriating but also brilliant stuff.

Why infuriating:
Just a bit too much of Meades' face and full frontal figure, I'm afraid.  Rather like that hairstyle which Neil Oliver blasts all over his 'archaeology' programmes, or the costumes that the Honourable Lucy Worsley likes to wear.  The cult of personality is, I'm afraid, a dumbing tool of television.  And the Philip Glass background music to moody, grainy shots of Nazi bunkers is just too predictable a juxtaposition for me.
Meades' thesis that architecture as an art is fully justified when it's created by genius runs against my own experience in practice and as an academic that architecture is a potent tool in class hegemony.  He claimed that "the concensual cannot help but be feeble" (rather like democracy, I suppose, Jonners?); and he pitied the mentality that says "I don't know much about architecture, but I know what I like" (a bit the same with me and fashion, jazz, motor cars, French wine, perfumes, rugby union, aviation displays and American comedy: I don't know much about them, but I guess I am entitled to an opinion.)

So why do I also find his programmes brilliant, and why would I want to work with this man?
Simply because he is courageous enough to stand apart from the crowd.  Far, far too much of the professional space I have occupied has been shared with the architectural mentality that talks about the 'real world' (ie the one in which architects earn their crust), and which expects architecture to be no more than 'appropriate', 'polite' and of course 'sustainable'.  It's a sort of open-collar-shirt-and-ironed-jeans-on-friday mentality, a mentality that imposes limits on itself, rather than celebrating the possibilities of transgressing limits.

That's why I want to work with Jonathan Meades.  He stands apart from all that professional self-interest stuff - and he's articulate.  I can't wait for next week's instalment.

No comments:

Post a Comment